Kunming, Yunnan Province, China – World Contemporary Choral Conducting Workshops
With the presence of Representatives from 5 Continents, and the World Youth and Children Choral Artists’ Association (WYCCAA) Annual General Meeting
The workshops were kicked off in the evening of 2 June with a cocktail reception blending Chinese and Western elements. Guests, teacher participants and WYCCAA choral maestros and experts from the 5 continents came together to mingle and exchange experiences. Among dialogues and laughter, they proceeded to enjoy the opening concert with a spectacular performance of folk songs and dances. The entire city of Kunming was filled with singing and applause that night. With such a joyful opening event, we were delighted to have paved the path to success for the workshops on the following days.
3 – 5 June: A total of 11 classes were given by choir maestros from all around the globe at the conducting workshops “Voices of the World”. Masterful choral conductors and well-prepared experts interacted freely and enthusiastically with the audience. Participants enjoyed the lectures and everyone learnt a lot through the comprehensive theory and practical classes:
(1) World Choral Scope – Introduction of North American Repertoires (Dr. Brady Allred)
(2) World Choral Scope – Intonation Training Pedagogy (Prof. Tong Shiu-wai, Leon & Prof. Martin Berger)
(3) World Choral Scope – Children’s Choir Training, Show Choir Training and Repertoires Sharing (Ms. Liu Mei and Mr. Zhu Jin-ming)
(4) World Choral Scope – Introduction to Latin American Repertoires (Dr. Cristian Grases)
(5) World Choral Scope – Introduction to African Repertoires (Prof. Martin Berger)
(6) World Choral Scope – Elementary Conducting Class (Dr. Cristian Grases)
(7) World Choral Scope – Advanced Conducting Class (Dr. Brady Allred)
(8) World Choral Scope – Introduction to European Repertoires (Dr. Milan Kolena)
(9) World Choral Scope – Introduction: Issues in Interpretation and Voicing in Chinese and Western Choral Repertoires (Prof. Ren Bao-ping)
(10) World Choral Scope – Four Key Conducting Techniques (Prof. Gan Lin)
(11) World Choral Scope – Choral Clinic (Prof. Tong Shiu-wai, Leon & Dr. Milan Kolena)
All participants had a rewarding experience. Photos were taken with the maestros at the graduation ceremony.
Parallel to the workshops, the World Youth and Children Choral Artists’ Association (WYCCAA) also held the annual general meeting, discussing the 2017 World Youth and Children’s Choir Festival in Hong Kong, other wonderful upcoming events and the membership program.